Top Management Challenges
DOT’s Fiscal Year 2021 Top Management Challenges
- Aviation safety. Key challenges: improving FAA’s oversight of aircraft certification processes and enhancing aviation safety oversight while working in a collaborative environment.
- Surface transportation safety. Key challenges: ensuring compliance with safety regulations and programs and continuing progress in safety monitoring and enforcement.
- Air traffic control and airspace modernization. Key challenges: modernizing new systems while introducing new capabilities and implementing new performance-based navigation flight procedures and delivering benefits to airspace users.
- Surface transportation infrastructure. Key challenges: enhancing oversight of surface transportation projects and employing effective asset and performance management.
- Contract and grant fund stewardship. Key challenges: awarding pandemic relief and other DOT contracts and grants efficiently, effectively, and for intended purposes and enhancing contract and grant management and oversight to achieve desired results and compliance with requirements.
- Information security. Key challenges: addressing longstanding cybersecurity weaknesses and developing Departmentwide policy to validate the proper adoption and security of cloud services.
- Financial management. Key challenges: strengthening procedures to monitor and report grantee spending and preventing an increase in improper payments.
- Innovation and the future of transportation. Key challenges: adapting oversight approaches for emerging vehicle automation technologies and ensuring the safe integration of Unmanned Aircraft Systems in the National Airspace System.