Top Management Challenges
DOT’s Fiscal Year 2020 Top Management Challenges
- Aircraft certification. Key challenges: resolving certification issues related to the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft and enhancing oversight of aircraft certification processes.
- Air carrier safety oversight. Key challenges: balancing collaboration and enforcement and overseeing air carriers’ new systems for managing safety risks.
- Airspace modernization. Key challenges: sustaining and modernizing the ERAM system, realizing the anticipated benefits of ADS-B, implementing new flight procedures, and auctioning off electromagnetic spectrum frequencies to finance and deploy new radars.
- Cybersecurity. Key challenges: addressing longstanding vulnerabilities in DOT systems, strengthening internal controls, and implementing mandated aviation cybersecurity initiatives.
- Pipeline and hazardous materials safety. Key challenges: hiring and retaining staff to oversee the safety of pipelines facilities and referring allegations of violations to OIG.
- Commercial vehicle safety. Key challenges: ensuring commercial drivers are qualified, prioritizing motor carriers for interventions, and estimating the impact of driver detention.
- Railroad safety. Key challenges: reducing railroad grade crossing and trespassing fatalities and overseeing railroads’ implementation of positive train control systems.
- Surface infrastructure investments. Key challenges: targeting oversight resources and managing risks, capitalizing on oversight support, and improving project delivery.
- The future of transportation. Key challenges: preparing for emerging vehicle automation technologies, safely integrating Unmanned Aircraft Systems and the commercial space industry, leveraging innovative financing, supporting R&D, and reshaping the workplace.