Top Management Challenges
DOT’s Fiscal Year 2019 Top Management Challenges
- Air carrier oversight. Key focus areas: identifying and mitigating risks and balancing collaboration and enforcement.
- Aviation safety and security. Key focus areas: runway safety, aircraft evacuation, integration of Unmanned Aircraft Systems, cockpit security, and drug and alcohol testing.
- Rail safety. Key focus area: railroads’ implementation of positive train control.
- Highway safety. Key focus areas: oversight of vehicle safety defects and management of vehicle recalls.
- Surface infrastructure safety and investments. Key focus areas: safety risk mitigation, use of limited infrastructure dollars, and infrastructure investment oversight.
- National Airspace System modernization. Key focus areas: new flight routes, new capabilities for airspace users, implementation of a new radar system, and oversight of developmental funding.
- Cybersecurity. Key focus areas: risk management, prevention and response to security incidents, information technology infrastructure, and aviation cybersecurity.
- Acquisition and grant oversight. Key focus areas: innovative acquisition practices; agency oversight of assets, contracts, and grants; and public-private partnerships.